That is an opinion editorial by Anthony Feliciano, a Bitcoin occasion organizer and advisor.
Now to half two of my collection on how our smartphones spy on us. You may find part one right here.
On this half I’ll discuss:
- De-Googling your cellular OS.
- Getting round SIM, eSIM and IMEI whereas nonetheless utilizing your cellphone
- Bitcoin and Lightning Community apps that can be utilized on a de-Googled cellphone.
- Steps to construct your opt-out plan.
CalyxOS And GrapheneOS
GrapheneOS gives a sandbox Google Play:
“GrapheneOS has a compatibility layer offering the choice to put in and use the official releases of Google Play in the usual app sandbox. Google Play receives completely no particular entry or privileges on GrapheneOS versus bypassing the app sandbox and receiving an enormous quantity of extremely privileged entry. As a substitute, the compatibility layer teaches it easy methods to work throughout the full app sandbox. It additionally is not used as a backend for the OS providers as it could be elsewhere since GrapheneOS does not use Google Play even when it is put in.”
“[It] replaces some features of Google Play Providers whereas sustaining rather more anonymity and privateness.”
This lets you obtain the apps you understand and already use on a regular basis.
I’m a present person of GrapheneOS and have been for just a few years now — that is my opt-out plan once I’ve had sufficient of Large Tech and draconian authorities overreach. I’ve examined out many options of GrapheneOS and instruments I can and may’t use. In my following article I’ll share what you are able to do as effectively.
SIM, eSIM And IMEI
Each time you buy a brand new cellphone from a supplier, you’re complying with KYC (know your buyer) protocols, handing your data over to the cell service supplier. In trade you get a brand new smartphone with a SIM card (or on some newer telephones an eSIM), and assigned an IMEI number that permits entry to the supplier’s cellular phone community. That data may be part of a subpoena to a provider for the information, together with all of your information, textual content, net historical past and so on., as effectively. So what are you able to do? You continue to wish to talk with associates, household, have web entry and be related to the remainder of the world.
You may nonetheless stroll into Finest Purchase immediately and purchase unlocked phones in money. Buy the cellular phone outright, and it gained’t be tied to a supplier akin to Verizon, ATT or T-Cellular. There isn’t a private data given out, and you may take your cellphone to whichever supplier you want entry to by buying a SIM or eSIM card.
*Bitcoiner professional tip: you should buy eSIM and pay through BTC or Lightning.
Bonus Bitcoiner professional tip: earlier than buying, be sure that when visiting any web site, you’re utilizing a VPN and/or Tor to additional cut back your on-line footprint. If you’ll buy through BTC, please be sure you use post-CoinJoin BTC through JoinMarket. For Lightning, be sure that the funds you employ to open channels out of your base layer BTC are from a put up CoinJoin to make Lightning funds. One instance of an internet site providing eSIMs for BTC is Silent.Link.
That is the intense step of my opt-out plan. When buying a SIM card, the selection is yours. Once you buy a SIM in money, the cellphone IMEI quantity shall be given as a part of activation to ensure it’s not blacklisted (stolen). My opt-out cellphone has by no means been activated through SIM, and my cellphone is an older mannequin so there isn’t a eSIM choice. I take advantage of Wi-Fi hotspots to entry the web together with a VPN and Tor. There may be a sophisticated method known as IMEI spoofing — I’ve not tried this technique out, however the aim is to get round IMEI which have been blacklisted from accessing community suppliers. Altering the SIM is not going to assist both, as a result of the IMEI remains to be blacklisted.
*Be aware – When utilizing Wi-Fi, little or no details about the gadget is recorded, particularly the MAC tackle, gadget mannequin, browser used and OS — your SIM and IMEI quantity usually are not recorded. Nevertheless, in case your cellphone pings a cell tower, then data is recorded and information may be simply obtained by merely monitoring down the IMEI quantity.
Bitcoin And De-Google Smartphone
Now to the Bitcoiners on the market who’re lastly fed up with all of the spying and monitoring, let’s add some Bitcoin and Lightning Networks apps to essentially make your cellphone optimum in your opt-out plan.
What follows is a listing of Bitcoin and Lightning Community apps put out by builders and corporations who launch them as Android Package Kits (APKs). APKs are of significant significance when utilizing de-Googled telephones as a result of the builders behind them permit them to be put in in your cellphone with out the necessity of Google Play service and all of the monitoring behind it. As Samourai discovered, having your app within the Google Play Retailer means you have to comply with their request to take away security measures. Samourai did the following neatest thing — direct obtain through APK.
Under are the Bitcoin and Lightning Community apps I take advantage of and the place to get their APKs, however there are most likely extra.
- Zeus: Proper on their foremost web page is the APK obtain. An ideal app to make use of to hook up with your node.
- Breez: From their Github web page: “Breez is a Lightning Community cellular consumer and a hub. It offers a platform for easy, instantaneous bitcoin funds.”
- Electrum: Obtain the APK for Android. **Be aware: join Electrum to your node community’s .onion tackle, don’t use computerized servers when connecting**
- Tor: Obtain the APK. That is the Tor Browser used for connecting to the web.
- Samourai Wallet: Obtain the APK. Connect with your Samourai Dojo or use it for Whirlpool.
- BlueWallet: BlueWallet is a straightforward to make use of custodial pockets for each Bitcoin and Lightning.
- SBW: A easy and straightforward Bitcoin and Lightning app
- ProtonVPN: That is the VPN service I take advantage of — they’ve a free consumer with restricted nation connection choices, but additionally provide pay tiers. Discover a good high quality VPN service that gives their app through apk.
- Telegram: You should buy a SIM/eSIM with bitcoin to get a cellphone quantity to make use of as one-time verification through SMS. (You’ll most likely wish to make a brand new Telegram account, since you will have used your individual private quantity to confirm your account)
- Element: A chat app utilized by many. Some heard of Matrix, factor is the app you’ll be able to obtain in your cellphone.
Anybody utilizing APKs ought to solely make the most of these discovered on a venture’s foremost web site or Github web page. It’s extremely really useful to keep away from web sites that provide APKs for an app you’ll be able to’t discover — I don’t belief them, they’re rebuilt by the websites and who is aware of in case you are getting the true app or one loaded with distant entry to any data you enter in there. So, if you cannot discover the venture’s APK simply on their web site, contact them instantly and ask.
Steps To Construct Your Decide-Out Plan:
- Decide a de-Googled OS.
- Load Bitcoin and Lightning apps at house.
- Add safety apps like a VPN and Tor browser.
- Go away your house, take your backup cellphone with you.
- Discover out what works/does not be just right for you.
- What apps are you able to “not dwell with out?”
- Ask your self, “What safety gaps did I miss?”
- Achieve confidence in having the ability to use Bitcoin privately.
I hope you discovered this text useful. For me, that is simply one other rung as you climb down the ladder of the Bitcoin rabbit gap. Utilizing expertise doesn’t imply now we have to surrender freedoms for the straightforward and handy choices. It means we will develop an opt-plan and nonetheless use Bitcoin. Should you loved this, give my two different articles a learn, “Is This Mobile Banking — Bitcoin On The Go” — the place I make my Lightning node cellular and take it on a street journey. Then learn, “How To Make To Make Your Lightning Network Node Mobile” — that’s the technical information on easy methods to make the node cellular. Should you can mix all three matters, you’ll be in your approach to really opting out.
I’ve included three images to depict the top aim.
This can be a visitor put up by Anthony Feliciano. Opinions expressed are solely their very own and don’t essentially mirror these of BTC Inc or Bitcoin Journal.